The Ministry of Communications and Digitalization (MoCD) has begun the National SIM Card Registration Exercise in Ghana. Only the National Identity Card (Ghana Card) provided to a person can be used to register individuals' SIM cards. Foreign citizens and foreigners staying in Ghana for more than 90 days must also use the Ghana Card to register their SIM cards. Foreigners visiting Ghana for a short length of time can obtain a SIM Card using their passports or Travel Cards, however they can only use the SIM Card for 30 days until it is cancelled.
Foreigners intending to use a SIM card for more than 30 days will have to obtain the Non-citizen Ghana Card to do so.
You can now register (or re-register) your Ghana SIM card to your Ghana Card by using the official short code (USSD) *404#.
Follow the steps below to register
- Dial *404# on the SIM Card you want to register.
- Enter Ghana Card PIN (Enter letters and figures without hyphens)
- Confirm Ghana card PIN
- Enter Surname, First name and other names.
- Enter your Date of Birth in the format DDMMYY
- Select your Sex
- Confirm details
- Submit the details provided after confirmation.
- Visit your Service provider (Agent Customer Care) to complete the registration.